A Tank Boat is a long-range, high-powered ship that can carry up to 20 Marines. It is equipped with a 7.62 millimeter machine gun and a remotely-controlled turret. These new vessels are being tested out by U.S. Marines as they reconfigure their fleet for operations in the South China Sea.
Antasena Tank Boat is a tank that shoots like a tank
Developed based on the X18 tank boat platform, the Antasena Tank Boat is designed to carry up to 20 soldiers. It measures 59 feet long by 21 feet wide and is powered by dual 1,200 horsepower MAN engines. It also features two waterjets.
Designed by a consortium of Indonesian companies, the Antasena Tank Boat prototype has passed a series of weapons and sea trials. In the first phase of the trial, the tank boat fired a 30 mm cannon at a weapons range in Paiton, East Java. It then completed a 170 mile sea voyage.
The Antasena Tank Boat is the first of its kind to be produced. It is a shallow-draft naval patrol vessel equipped with a tank part and a tank tower. Having this capability allows it to provide fire support to dismantled troops. It has the potential to reach remote locations where the Indonesian Marines may have trouble. The tank boat is capable of operating on open waters as well as in shallow waters.
It is designed to carry up to 20 Marines
The Tank Boat is a 60-foot-long warship designed to operate in coastal areas. It has a catamaran-style design that provides stability at sea and a large internal volume. It has a shallow draft of three feet. It is designed to carry 20 Marines, though some sources state it can carry up to 60.
Its hull is made of two separate pieces: the main body and the hull. These vehicles are used by the Marines in Afghanistan and Iraq. The Marines use both during combat operations. The Marines deploy to Helmand River in Afghanistan and are limited in their visibility. They must navigate between obstacles and must be able to see where they are going.
It is designed to operate in so-called “brown water”
Tank boats are a unique type of watercraft designed for specialized missions. Unlike conventional warships, they can operate in areas with little to no water. The design of tank boats is catamaran-like, giving them great stability at sea and a large internal volume. The Tank Boat also features a shallow draft, making it easy to operate in shallow water. Its main use is to transport and land Marines from the Korps Marinir, and can carry up to twenty Marines.
In the American Civil War, the U.S. Navy may have operated in what has been referred to as “brown water.” The idea was to block Confederate harbors and push down the Mississippi River, robbing the Confederate South of their main artery. With this strategy, the U.S. Navy was assigned to blockade Confederate seaports while the Army laid siege to cities along the Mississippi River.
PT boats were not successful in sinking major Japanese ships, but they did perform reconnaissance and search and rescue missions and were effective at harassing Japanese barge traffic. They also earned the nickname “devil boats” from the enemy, and they helped the US Navy gain intelligence about Japanese warships in the Surigao Strait during the 1944 Battle of Leyte Gulf. In one memorable encounter, PT-137 scored a crippled torpedo hit on the Japanese battleship Abukuma. Despite this, after the war, most PT boats were destroyed and sold to other countries.
PT boats provided valuable early warning and monitoring of enemy movements
The PT boat was less than 40 years old when World War II began, and was a relatively new technology. Its basic design was a modified spar torpedo developed by Confederate Captain Hunter Davidson in 1864. It had the ability to fire torpedoes at a distance, but their explosives were very close to explosion and dangerous to the crew.
Early radar played a useful role during the war, but most of the sensing was still done by eye. A visual sighting could be from an aircraft, a periscope, or a lookout station. The use of aircraft helped extend the range of visual sensing. PT boats excelled in this task.
In WWII, PT boats provided the US Navy with valuable early warning and monitoring of enemy movements. They were often deployed in strings across enemy transit routes, acting as a distributed sensor net. Even if they did not see combat, PT boats were vital to early warning and monitoring the enemy’s movements.
PT boats were important in WW2. As early as 1942, they provided valuable early warning and monitoring of enemy movements. In August 1943, a PT boat named PT-109 was lost in an engagement. The PT boats were replaced with Mark 8 torpedoes during the war.
In June 1944, PT boats supported the D-Day invasion of the Allied forces. They helped Allied troops land by harassing enemy shore installations, destroying floating mines, and landing partisans behind enemy lines. During the invasion of Normandy, the first PT boat crossed the English Channel. This mission was carried out by PT Squadron 2, and continued until the entire French coast was liberated.
The PT boats were also armed with numerous automatic weapons. Early PT boats had twin M2.50 cal (12.7mm) machine guns. These guns were mounted in plexiglas turrets. After Pearl Harbor, however, these were replaced by open-ring twin mounts, which were designed by Bell and Elco. These mounts had a long range and were designated as “Mark 17 Twin 50 caliber aircraft mount.” Other common automatic weapons mounted on PT boats were 20 mm Oerlikon cannons.
The PT boats were capable of carrying three officers and fourteen enlisted men, and a crew of up to 16 men. The boats’ full displacement was about 56 tons at the end of the war.
They were a jack-of-all-trades
PT Boats were a jack of all trades in WW2. Their primary mission was to attack enemy surface craft, but they were also very effective at laying mines, coordinating air-sea rescue operations, and rescuing shipwreck survivors. PT Boats were designed to be a jack-of-all trades, but they also had many flaws. The primary drawback was their ineffectiveness at attacking aircraft and major warships.
PT boats were fast, torpedo-armed fast attack craft used by the US Navy during the Second World War. The letters “PT” stand for Patrol Torpedo, which is why their squadrons were nicknamed the mosquito fleet.
PT Boats were born out of the US Navy’s decision to ignore the Mahan doctrine and use launches during prohibition. A few of the earliest PT Boats were purchased on trial basis at the end of the Great War. The Navy then ordered prototypes when hostilities started. One of these boats, the Hall-Scott, was built in Britain.
PT Boats were used to protect amphibious forces in the Aleutian Islands. The 17th Infantry of Maj. Gen. Albert Brown’s 7th Infantry Division landed on the island of Attu in May 1943. As part of their mission, the PTs were assigned to protect the amphibious forces from enemy counterattacks. PT Boats were also used to deflect enemy navies. Ultimately, they helped the U.S. forces take back the island from the Japanese. After the Aleutians Campaign, PT Boats were returned to the U.S. Navy and were used to protect the Allied troops in the Mediterranean, the Pacific, and the Pacific.
PT Boats were an invaluable part of the Allied Force during the Battle of Normandy. They patrolled the Mason Line, which formed a barrier against German S-boats attacking the Allied landing force. They also performed life-saving missions and anti-shipping mine-destroying missions.
PT Boats were built by four companies. Vosper, Elco, and Higgins built the majority of PTs. Elco built PTs, which were used mostly in the Pacific and English Channel. Higgins PTs were designed to serve in the European and Pacific Theaters. Huckens boats were built for the training squadron based in Melville, Rhode Island. They also had a role in the Hawaiian Islands and the Panama Canal Zone.
They traded fire with friendly aircraft
During World War II, the PT Boats of the Pacific Fleet traded fire with enemy aircraft. PT-346, an 80-ft Electric Launch Company motor torpedo boat, suffered the most PT Boat friendly fire casualties of any PT in the war. The PTs were primarily involved in the Southwest Pacific theater. In March 1944, it was a rescue vessel. In April, it was the victim of enemy fire. This attack resulted in 22 casualties and 28 wounded from PT boat Squadron 25.
PT Boats were famous for their toughness and endurance during battle. One of the most well-known PT boats, the PT-109, remained afloat for twelve hours after being cut in half by kamikaze aircraft. Another famous PT was the PT-323 (Elco), which survived a kamikaze attack on 10 December 1944 off the Philippine island of Leyte. The PT-308 (Higgins), meanwhile, had her stern severed by a collision with a PT-304 on 9 March 1945 while on a night mission in the Mediterranean. Despite this horrific experience, the PTs returned to base to repair their damage.
The PT boats were capable of targeting both warships and supply ships. They carried four torpedoes, each weighing a ton, and were powered by compressed air or a steam turbine. PT boats had to be positioned within half a mile of the target to ensure maximum effectiveness.
The 17th Infantry of Maj. Gen. Albert Brown’s 7th Infantry Division landed on the island of Attu in May 1943. The PTs assigned to this mission were to defend the amphibious forces from a Japanese counterattack. They were also a part of a feint to fool the Japanese into thinking the U.S. had a superior number of aircraft. Eventually, U.S. forces retook the island, and the PTs were returned to Seattle after the Aleutians Campaign.
During World War II, the PT Boats were used extensively. Their design was so revolutionary, the Navy eventually accepted the design and ordered two squadrons of PT boats during the war. The first squadron of PT Boats was commissioned in early 1943 and was assigned to the Central Pacific, the Panama Canal Zone, and the training center in Melville, Rhode Island.
They were fitted with Lewis machine guns
PT Boats were equipped with Lewis machine guns during the Second World War. These guns were the most effective weapons against barges in the shallow waters. Torpedoes were not effective against them and the PTs were sent to attack them. The increased firepower helped them destroy the barges. Throughout the war, PT boats received several field modifications to increase their firepower. In 1941, these vessels were equipped with 16 five-inch rockets, Lewis machine guns and depth charges. During the war, they were also fitted with 40 mm cannons.
PT Boats were also equipped with two to eight U.S. Navy Mark 6 depth charges and Lewis machine guns. These weapons were not used regularly, however. PT’s also carried Naval Mines, though they were rarely used. A small liferaft was mounted on the forward deck, but was often dislodged by the gun’s exhaust.
The PT Boats were designed to be fast attack craft. The crew was comprised of a signalman and quartermaster. To store food and other items, they often traded supplies with other ships. Despite the fact that they were designed as anti-ship weapons, they often became targets of Japanese warships. The PT boats were particularly useful in the New Guinea area where they would hunt for Japanese barges moving through shallow waters at night.
PT boats were also a crucial part of the Allied campaign in the Pacific. In the early stages of the war, PTs would attack enemy barges off the coast of New Guinea and the upper Solomons. They would also land scouts and reconnaissance squads on enemy-held beaches. During the Pacific War, the PTs were a crucial part of the Allied invasion of Leyte on 20 October 1944. They were even used by General MacArthur during the liberation of the Philippines.
Lewis machine guns were also mounted on PT boats during the war. Initially, PT boats were equipped with a 20 mm cannon at the stern, but later, PT boats were armed with additional 20 mm guns amidships and forward. Lewis machine guns were installed on the pedestal mounts on early Elco 77-foot (23 m) boats. Some boats later received rocket launchers.